The people of Washington state have defined marriage as the union of one man and one woman. Their position has been tested and upheld by our state supreme court.
However, our legislators in clear opposition to the will of the people of Washington State, have passed SB5688. It is a long document, but it’s intent is actually spelled out in the first sentence of first section.
It is the intent of the legislature that for all purposes under state law, state registered domestic partners shall be treated the same as married spouses.
I read one weblog where they state that the phrase “marriage shall apply equally to state registered domestic partnerships” is found 180 times in the document. I haven’t counted, so I’ll just trust’em. But any way, there it is. The redefining of marriage by the legislature of our state. That’s where Referendum 71 comes in to the picture. It has one clear purpose; to block the redefinition of marriage and leave it to stand as one man and one woman just as it has been for all recorded history.
So if you’re interested, as I am, in retaining marriage as one man and one woman then you need to sign Ref. 71. Be warned though, some who wish to redefine marriage as something else entirely have been filling the media with thinly disguised threats.
SEATTLE – A group called WhoSigned.org says it will publicize the names of people signing Referendum 71, which seeks a public vote to overturn Washington’s same-sex partnership law.
In a statement Monday, WhoSigned.org says it expects people who see the names online to contact the signers for what may be uncomfortable talks about gay rights.
I can only assume this is meant to scare us away from signing, but here’s a tip for you guys at WhoSigned.org; I’m signing the petition. You can contact ahead of time and get that “uncomfortable talk” out of the way right now, or you can wait and try it later after I’ve scratched my John Hancock.
Here’s 10 more reasons from the Faith and Freedom Network that you should risk an “uncomfortable talk” and sign on with Ref. 71.
Tags: SB 5688, referendum 71, defense of marriage
1. “At the founding of our country we made the conscious decision to promote marriage between one man and one woman above all other legal unions because of its inherent value to children and society. Signing R-71 will help us preserve that decision for another generation.” -State Representative Matt Shea
2. “Those who think they can sit this battle out because they believe their values and their children will be safe in a private school or homeschool, need to think again. If the homosexual extremists are allowed to continue down this path, under expanded civil rights and hate crime laws, it will soon be illegal to speak out against homosexual marriage or the dangerous homosexual lifestyle. Please protect the time-honored tradition of ancient and modern society – one man, one woman in marriage. Protect the rights of children to have a mother and a father. Please do not hesitate to sign the R-71 petition.” -Pastor Ken Hutcherson, Antioch Bible Church
3. “Please Defend Marriage By Signing This Petition. SB 5688 was presented as a bill about benefits, yet a day after it was passed, those who sponsored the bill told the Seattle press that it was really part of a long term strategy to re-define marriage and legalize same-sex ‘marriage’. The Seattle Times editorial board agreed and said homosexuals should also be given the name ‘marriage’ as a result of the passage of SB 5688. SB 5688 is the final step. If this bill is allowed to become law, partnerships will be elevated to the level of marriage with no legal difference. The Washington State Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) will be declared irrelevant and same-sex ‘marriage’ will be imposed on Washington State through the courts.”
“SB 5688 is an attempt to deconstruct marriage as it has existed throughout all human history. This unique and exceptional relationship that connects a man and a woman to a child, genetically, is the cornerstone of every successful society in human history and is the master plan of the Creator. There is no other relationship that meets this criteria for marriage. Only natural marriage provides generational sustainability. Please defend marriage by signing the R-71 petition.”-Gary Randall, President, Faith and Freedom Network and Foundation
4. “Please sign R-71 right away. SB 5688 is bad legislation for marriage, children, the public schools and the economy. It’s a back-door way of legislating homosexuality marriage without the name–which will be next. That step would legitimize immoral behavior– forcing many families and their children to leave the public schools, and costing the state millions of dollars on a crazy social experiment. People are free to live with anybody they want–but they don’t have the right to change the bedrock of society–marriage–between a man and woman, producing, protecting, and nurturing children. We need to honor and strengthen marriage–not re-define it.” -Ron Boehme, Director, US Renewal
5. “I heartily endorse the work of Protect Marriage Washington and the R-71 campaign. If homosexual ‘marriage’ becomes legal in Washington, every public school will be forced to teach that homosexual relationships and marriage are perfectly normal. This will greatly harm our schools and drive an irreconcilable wedge between the public school curriculum and the values and moral code of hundreds of thousands of parents. Those parents with deeply held convictions on this matter will have no choice but to remove their children. It is time for all of us to stand up for marriage in Washington State.” -Dr. Bruce Craswell
6. A domestic partnership diverts rights and resources from a family to an unrelated adult. These include benefits for dependent children, end of life decisions by older children for elderly parents, and inheritance rights of all surviving family members, just to name a few. The homosexual community emphasizes the fact that they have biological children, yet no child is ever produced by a same sex relationship. There is always an opposite sex partner involved and they can lose their rights as well. Please support genuine marriage and sign R-71! – Senator Dan Swecker
7. “In 2006 the Washington State Supreme Court upheld the legislature’s right to ban same sex marriages. The passage of Senate Bill 5688 this year makes same-sex Domestic Partnerships equal to genuine marriage in every practical way. It’s passage has essentially overturned our Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and thus diminishes the value of traditional marriage between one man and one women. I urge you to sign R-71 and help us roll back this effort to undermine marriage in Washington State!” -Senator Val Stevens
8. “Marriage has been defined historically, culturally and morally as the union of one man and one woman. It is an undeniable truth that families led by both a father and mother provide the best structure and support for children and communities. The recent hostile acts of redefining marriage by state legislators and Governor Gregoire have set the stage for Referendum 71. Their assault on marriage in Washington State must not go unanswered. Marriage is ground that cannot be surrendered and we urge every citizen to rise up and defend marriage by signing Referendum 71.” -Cindy Honcoop, Director, Washington Eagle Forum
9. SB 5688 was packaged and presented to the legislature as a Domestic Partnerships expansion of benefits. In truth, it will demolish the state’s historical understanding and definition of marriage as Washington will immediately become subject to litigation by same-sex partners demanding the courts overturn our state’s Defense of Marriage Act and impose “same-sex marriage” (as happened recently in California prior to Proposition 8). By signing Referendum 71, we will bring this society changing measure before the people of Washington State and let them make this monumental decision in November.” -Larry Stickney, President, Washington Values Alliance
10. “HB 5688, together with other domestic partnership laws in Washington, represent the most radical rewriting of the statutory scheme in this state since the Code of Washington was first revised. R71 is your opportunity to reject the legislature’s attempt to overthrow traditional marriage in Washington.” -Stephen Pidgeon, Legal Counsel, Protect Marriage Washington